The Berlin Olympiastadion has a long and illustrious history. First built in 1936, it was inaugurated with the start of the Olympic Games on 1 August 1936. Its current form still bears a resemblance to the classic sporting arenas of that era and can still be used as an athletics venue today as the running track remains. The German Cup final has taken place at the stadium every season since 1985.
One of the most distinctive features of the exterior is the Olympic emblem that adorns the main entrance.
After being modernised for the 1974 FIFA World Cup™, the ground was redeveloped completely for Germany 2006, the final of which took place in Berlin. The roof now covers all spectator areas and is fitted with a continuous floodlight system.
At the request of regular tenants Hertha BSC, who have played their home matches at the stadium since the foundation of the Bundesliga in 1963, the running track is blue.
With its capacity of 74,244, the Olympiastadion is the largest of the nine FIFA Women’s World Cup arenas and will host the opening match on 26 June 2011 involving hosts Germany.